Travel. Education. New Cultures. Fantastic Experiences. Are You Ready for A Life. Changing. Journey?
Now that you've been admitted to Indian Hills Community College, let's get you prepared to arrive to campus. There are some important things you need to know about what you need to do next, but don't worry, we'll help you every step of the way. Please make sure to check your acceptance packet for important information about orientation, term dates, airport/train arrival, how to apply for your student visa, and much more.
What To Do Next
Please use this checklist to complete the items below:
- Please pay your SEVIS fee at the S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement web page (www.fmjfee.com). You must show proof of payment of your SEVIS fee at your student visa interview.
SEVP is currently unable to accept SEVIS I-901 fee payments by credit card on behalf of students from the following countries: Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria
Students from Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria must pay by mail. To pay by mail:
- Print off the paper form at https://www.fmjfee.com/# Click on the link at the bottom of the webpage for the Paper Form I-901. You can also go directly to the form at https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2015/i901.pdf.
- Complete the paper form. Follow the instructions completely. Be sure to write your name exactly how it appears on your I-20 form.
- Send an international money order in the amount of $200 U.S. made out to The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- Send the completed I-901 form and payment.
Send your Payment by Regular Air Mail
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
Send your Payment by Express Courier
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
- Apply for your student visa (F-1 or M-1, whichever is applicable) at the US Embassy in your home country (usembassy.gov). We recommend applying for your student visa as soon as possible; however, please note that you cannot be issued a student visa more than 120 days prior to the start date on your I-20 Form. At the top of your I-20 Form it will indicate which nonimmigrant visa you need to apply for.
- Please inform the International Affairs Office regarding the status of your student visa (in the event of an acceptance or denial). Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the IHCC Online Orientation (information provided in this packet).
- Plan your visa interview and travel time in order to arrive in time for the Mandatory In-Person International Student Orientation. The dates of our multi-day orientation are located on the “International Student Orientation Information” in this packet.
- If you have taken the SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS, please email your score report to email@example.com. With receipt of these scores, you may not be required to take a placement exam during orientation.
- If you plan to live on-campus in our residence halls, you will need to make your housing arrangements BEFORE you arrive. You will need to complete the Housing Application Form and pay a US$200 Housing Deposit. Please refer to the “How to Apply for On-Campus Housing” form in this packet.
- Please plan your travel plans so that you arrive to the Ottumwa Train Station or the Des Moines International Airport on the appropriate term’s Train/Airport Pickup Dates between the hours of our specified pickup times. This pickup is provided free of charge, but are only provided on the dates/times listed on the “Arrival Form” in this packet. Please note that you cannot enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20.
Even if you plan to arrive on campus without our transportation assistance, we still need to know when you will be arriving. Please
email firstname.lastname@example.org to report your arrival date and time, but alert us that you will not need transportation assistance.
New Indian Hills Community College international students must:
- Complete the International Student Online Orientation units prior to arriving to the US, as well as report to the in-person multi-day Indian Hills International Student Orientation and registration session
- Enroll full–time and attend Indian Hills Community College for a minimum of two 12–week terms
- Be a high school graduate or have a High School Equivalency Diploma
- Present these original documents at the in-person International Student Orientation: Passport, Visa, I-20, and I-94
- Complete the ACCUPLACER test or ESL ACCUPLACER test during in-person orientation or provide an approved English proficiency test score report to the International Affairs Office prior to arrival
- Be screened for Tuberculosis (TB) during orientation
International Student Orientation
Indian Hills international students must complete orientation. Mandatory orientation includes the Online Orientation AND the in-person International Student Orientation. The Online Orientation must be completed prior to your arrival to the US. The in-person orientation will take place before the start of each term (refer to your acceptance packet for dates).
Please bring the following items with you to the in-person International Student Orientation:
- US/local address
- Emergency contact information
- Copy of immunization records
You will be required to take the ACCUPLACER test or ESL ACCUPLACER test during orientation (if you have not provided an approved English proficiency test score report to the International Affairs Office prior to arrival).
During the Online Orientation, you will learn important information about your success
at Indian Hills Community College. During the in-person International Student Orientation,
we will cover the most important aspects for your success, as well as tour campus,
register for classes, obtain your Indian Hills Student ID card, and much more.
International Affairs Office
Indian Hills Community College
Phone: +1 (641) 683-5755 | (800) 726-2585, ext. 5755